Monday, December 21, 2009

What we won't do for our kids

Sleepless nights (for 4 years), battling with potty training, addictions to bottles, making 3 square meals a day, cleaning up puke, kissing owies, wiping boogers, sanitizing hands, loads of laundry and tantrums, these are just a few of the things that I deal with on a daily basis.
Recently I have been thinking, "How is any of this teaching my children what they need to know for the future?" I sometimes wonder why we as mom's go through all of the maham and chaos? Why do we subject ourselves to this tiring and sometimes mind altering lifestyle?
We do it because our 4 year old puts his head on our shoulder and tells us that we look like a princess today. We do it because when they are sleeping all we want to do is kiss their head and protect them from the bad things of this world. We do it because our two year old gives us a kiss for no reason, or runs to us in the morning because they are so excited to see us. We do it because we love them, more than our own lives.
This is one of the ways I can relate with my brother Jesus Christ. I wonder sometimes why he puts up with us, and then I remember my own kids. He may get frustrated or disappointed with our decisions but he loves us more than anything, even more than his own life.

5 comments:

Kathy said...

very deep and very wise!

Elizabeth said...

that's pretty awesome, Deon.

The Clifts said...

You'd think I was pregnant the way I bawled when I read this. (By the way, I'm not pregnant...in case you were wondering.)

Ruthie said...

You just reminded me why i love being a mommy so much. Thanks! Merry Christmas. By the way...do you ever answer the phone anymore?

Gabe and Anna Family said...

Thanks for that Deon, I needed the reminder. I hope you guys had a fun Christmas.